What are hand wraps and why are they important?
Hand wraps are long strips of cloth that are wrapped around the hands, wrists, and knuckles of boxers before they put on their gloves. They provide support and protection to the bones, tendons, and muscles in the hands and wrists, reducing the risk of injury during training and competition. Hand wraps also help to absorb sweat and keep the gloves in place, improving the boxer’s grip and overall performance. Without hand wraps, boxers are at a higher risk of developing hand injuries such as fractures, sprains, and bruises.
Different types of hand wraps and their features
Step-by-step guide on how to wrap your hands for maximum protection
Properly wrapping your hands is essential for protecting your hands and wrists during training and competition. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to wrap your hands for maximum protection:
- Start with the loop around your thumb and wrap the hand wrap around your wrist.
- Wrap the hand wrap around your knuckles, making sure to keep your fingers spread apart.
- Wrap the hand wrap around your wrist again, making sure to cover the area between your thumb and index finger.
- Wrap the hand wrap around your knuckles again, this time crossing over the back of your hand.
- Wrap the hand wrap around your wrist one more time, making sure to cover the area between your thumb and index finger again.
- Finish by securing the hand wrap with the Velcro strap.
Make sure the hand wrap is snug but not too tight, and that your fingers can still move freely.